The art project is hiring: Weekend Retail
The Art Project seeks an experienced part-time salesperson to work weekends plus occasional weekdays and evenings in our gallery.
The Art Project (formerly Bainbridge Arts & Crafts) is a nonprofit art gallery whose mission is to illuminate our corner of the world through gallery exhibitions, free art education, and community outreach.
The Retail Associate reports directly to the Retail Manager and is, first and foremost, an ambassador of The Art Project. As a member of our team, you’ll enthusiastically show and sell artwork, educate visitors about our programs and the artists we represent, and help maintain our vibrant gallery space – all with a view toward heightening the public’s awareness and perception of our nonprofit mission and vision.
Basic responsibilities include:
- Handling interaction with gallery visitors. Welcome and greet guests, artists, staff, and volunteers as they enter the store, and provide a level of service that heightens the public’s view of The Art Project.
- Selling art. Maintain highest standards of product and artist knowledge, sales techniques, and guest service.
- Ringing up sales. Effectively operate a cash register with accuracy and accountability. Reconcile opening and ending cash totals.
- Problem-solving. Handle all guest concerns in a proactive and positive manner.
- Imparting information about TAP’s nonprofit mission. Educate visitors about our ongoing efforts to support professional Northwest artists while providing free art education and outreach to our community.
- Answering the phone. Direct calls, address inquiries, and take messages as appropriate.
- Receiving inventory. Greet and direct artists as they make deliveries. Receive deliveries. Assist the Retail Manager and Registrar with unpacking, tagging, and storing inventory. Facilitate inventory return requests from artists.
- Arranging artwork on the retail floor. Continuously stock, merchandise, and replenish the store following the Retail Manager’s and Design Team’s guidelines.
- Maintaining an inviting and safe space. Keep the gallery and front office clean, inviting, and well organized during your shifts. Conduct opening and closing procedures as directed by the Retail Manager.
- Performing additional work as assigned by the Retail Manager.
Essential Skills and Experience
The Retail Associate is the customer’s first point of contact and as such, must be upbeat and personable as well as organized and capable.
- High School Diploma preferred
- An understanding of the retail environment and guest service; 2+ years of retail experience preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to perform basic calculations
- Ability to remain calm under pressure in a busy weekend retail environment
- Interest in fine contemporary art, and our nonprofit mission
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, which include but might not be limited to:
- Standing for long periods of time
- Lifting and move merchandise/displays of up to 40lbs
- Using a ladder
This is primarily a weekend job; most with some weekdays and extended work hours required during special events. Core store hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.